When our local Border's was going out of business, I stopped in to see if they had anything interesting. It was pretty much picked over, but I came across this gem: Mad Hungry: Feeding Men &Boys by Lucinda Scala Quinn.
I didn't look at it much while I was in the store, but I chose to buy it because a) I love cookbooks and b) it was about feeding boys....which I love as well. When I got home, I read this cookbook from cover to cover. I fell in love with it before I even read a recipe. Lucinda Scala Quinn is a chef and a mother to three boys. I could relate to her immediately. Lucinda shares personal stories, tips and wonderful recipes. She describes mealtime perfectly when she says " Don't wait for the boys to ask for or want breakfast, lunch, or dinner--just cook it and serve it because young boys don't always ask to eat until they're ravenous and cranky. Anticipate their needs before they meld down."
I experienced this last night to a T. I was cooking dinner and Braxton decided that he was ready for dinner. There was only one problem. Dinner was not ready yet. Braxton was acting like he never had a meal. I asked him to sit at the table while I was finishing up. He sat there scowling pouting when he announced " I am MAD!".
I laughed out loud because he was MAD HUNGRY. I think that the title fits the cookbook perfectly. This is a wonderful cookbook for anyone. The recipes are simple, wholesome and healthy. It is a MUST HAVE for anyone who has boys. I will treasure my copy forever.
You just described Will at about 5:45pm (dinner is always between 6-6:30)....looks like it's going on the christmas list! Thanks for sharing!!! (hysterical picture by the way!!!)
ReplyDelete